Saturday, September 18, 2010

Even Odds today




at the old Roy Arias

ERIC SR.
So how about getting some sleep?

ERIC JR.
Could you watch me while I’m asleep? And then if I start to die, you
could wake me up?

ERIC SR.
Well if you start to die, I’d do more than wake you up, I’d get you to
the hospital. Maybe they could save your life.

ERIC JR.
You think they could?

ERIC SR.
The odds are in your favor.

ERIC JR.
OK, I’m going to sleep now.

ERIC SR.
OK.

(Eric Jr. tries to fall asleep.)

ERIC JR.
Dad – you still there?

ERIC SR.
Yep.

ERIC JR.
Do you think you and Mom might ever get back together?

ERIC SR.
The odds are against it.

ERIC JR.
By how much?

ERIC SR.
About a ninety-nine percent chance we will never get back together.

ERIC JR.
But that means there’s a one percent chance you could.

ERIC SR.
It means don’t bet on it. Those are bad odds.

ERIC JR.
Oh.

ERIC SR.
Sorry. That’s how it is. You’re eight now – I think that’s old enough to
handle the truth.

ERIC JR.
Yeah, I guess so. I’m going to go to sleep now. This time for real.

ERIC SR.
OK.