Monday, December 20, 2010

awash in beer

I had an ocean of alcohol on hand for the J&B reading/Christmas party, and much of it was consumed - except for the beer. So now I have all this beer in my fridge, and I don't drink beer.

Speaking of alcohol and oceans, I think I solved the mystery of where all Willie the Whaler's money goes - this ad from the November 20, 1943 issue of The New Yorker.



Willie says he's going to the "Fiddler's Green" to get a "noggin of neaters." Neaters being British slang for rum - but why would he have to go to Fiddler's Green to get rum, when clearly he's at the Whaler Bar and God knows they'll have rum. I suspect Fiddler's Green is a house of ill-repute.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:41 PM

    In Irish sailor's music, "Fiddler's Green" is the name of what is essentially an alternative afterlife, meant specifically for sailors, which contains, instead of the contemplative ecstasies of Heaven, the more prurient pleasures of sea-faring folk.

    ReplyDelete