Thursday, September 06, 2012

It's the New York Real Estate Brochure Collection

At the Columbia University Libraries Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library.

My apartment building, "Victoria Hall" is in the collection - they have a floor plan for the entire building. Now I can see how big my next-door neighbor's apartment is - two bedrooms. But even better, it has all the dimensions of my apartment, which makes it easy to make redecorating plans.

I always thought the name was funny because it's wildly inappropriate - my apartment building is done in the 1950s modern style, nothing like a Victorian building. I guess it looked good on the brochure.

The architect of this building is Jack Brown. There's a name that's pretty much impossible to Google. He has at least 38 buildings to his name. He seems to be/have been a good architect. He's no Frank Lloyd Wright though...