Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Julia and Buddy and the Owl and the Pussycat

They had elaborate sets back in the day. Here is the set for the 1965 Off-Broadway hit "The Owl and the Pussycat."



Truly amazing how complex this is. My off-off Broadway show JULIA AND BUDDY will have the simplest of sets. There will be two basic sets with the two video sequences and the fever dream done in mostly darkness with a spot or two.


While I was looking for an online version of the set I found this nice photo-spread from Ebony of the original production of THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT which starred a very young Alan Alda. He looks odd on the cover though - like he's in a silent movie. The other pix are better...



The original caption reads: "Accused by girl of being "a dirty, filthy Peeping Tom Fink,"
annoyed boy sits at typewriter and types a sentence: "A rule worth making is worth keeping."
Asked what it means, he explains it is to remind him never to open his door after midnight.
Below she adjusts TV she has brought along, asks: "What kind of reception do you get?"






In addition to this virtual pictorial of the entire play, Ebony also did a whole fashion article about Diane Sands. If this play was a flop, well it sure wouldn't be Ebony's fault.

I recently re-read THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT out of curiosity, now that I've finally completed JULIA AND BUDDY. There are many differences between the two plays - especially since in my play the woman is more the owl and the man is the pussycat - but there are still a few similarities - primarily two seemingly different people who turn out to have quite a bit in common.

I finally did up the J&B postcard art in Pantone colors. As soon as I figure out where this thing is going up I'll get the postcards printed.