Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Spring can really hang you up the most - 2013


This version of "Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most" is the first I had heard, so maybe that's why I can't stand the versions that have an annoying preamble that goes:
Once I was a sentimental thing;
threw my heart away each spring.
Now a spring romance
hasn't got a chance.
Promised my first dance to winter.
All I've got to show's a splinter
for my little fling.
Ick. And every other version I've heard includes that preamble - Bette Midler, Barbra Streisand, Ella Fitzgerald, and on and on. And sorry to say the original version by Fran Landesman did include those lines, but Jones rightly left it out.

And really the actual lyrics aren't that important, it's the title/refrain, which is just sooo 1950s beatnick: Spring can really hang you up the most. Man. And it's just as true today as when it was written in 1955.