Tuesday, July 22, 2014

What the other critic said...

I would be remiss if I did not mention that the other critic for JULIA & BUDDY completely trashed the play. It's amazing how two people could have such completely opposite responses to a single play.

Although I will say about the other critic:

  • He's fresh out of Columbia University
  • He's a fledgling playwright 
  • He appears to have very little experience as a critic - so although he expresses his deep deep sorrow and regret for the necessity of hatcheting my play, he can't even bother to discuss the work of the actors, who are excellent, even as they struggle through the irredeemable shit.
  • He's not a big fan of romantic comedy since he declares that the relationship between the two characters is not high enough stakes. Romantic comedy is considered extremely uncool in the theater world these days. It's much too girly to be cool.

What I find most interesting is that although he mentions the appearance of Schopenhauer in the play (the other critic mentioned him not at all) he completely misses the significance of Schopenhauer's philosophy in the context of the play, even though I put the quote "we want what we will, but we don't will what we want" right at the top. And here I thought I had made it much too obvious. I figured anybody who bothered to consider the Schopenhauer issue would get it. Guess I was wrong.