His primary focus was ancient Stoicism and the Roman slave-turned-philosopher Epictetus, whose lessons captured in The Enchiridion Stockdale credited with providing him strength during his ordeals as a prisoner in the Hanoi Hilton.I was amazed and impressed to know this about Stockdale.
During the lecture I also got the idea for a Meetup group that does philosophical plays, and decided to do some research and found quite a few and not just from the ancient Greek philosophers.
My list so far:
- THE CLOUDS by Aristophanes
- WAITING FOR GODOT by Samuel Beckett
- THE ROBBERS by Frederich Schiller
- SOCRATES by Voltaire
- NO EXIT by Jean-Paul Sartre
- OEDIPUS by Seneca the Younger
- WHO SHALL DIE by Simone DeBeauvoir