Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Another musical mystery solved

Before taking this course in music theory, I knew bits and pieces about the formal structure of music  but thanks to this course it's all coming together in an organized, satisfying way.

I've always been more into playing piano than guitar so knew even less about guitar-related conventions - like guitar chord charts, which always confused me because unlike piano music, where the notes were just plonked down on the staff and you had to figure out the "chord" being played, the guitar chords would be labeled like this:


Eventually I learned that dim = diminished - but what did "diminished" mean? Well, mystery solved. It's all about the intervals.

And we even did some solfège singing in class today, which was fun in spite of the fact that my voice is crap.