Thursday, December 08, 2016

Garfunkel and Oates and McInnes

As I mentioned last week, hard-core alt-right misogynist Gavin McInnes made a list  (in 2014) of people he believed: "call a spade a spade no matter what the consequences" and included Steven Pinker, Ann Coulter and assorted other racists/misogynists/nutjobs. I saw the name "Garfunkel and Oates" in the list and it rang a bell, but I couldn't remember where I had heard the names.

Recently I came across those names again and now I know - they are a comedy duo I heard of first in 2009, and I had an idea they were progressive/liberal. 

I believe this is why:



I find it hard to believe that a homophobe like Gavin McInnes would enjoy their mocking of the anti-gay marriage position.

As of March 2016 Ms. Magazine thinks Garfunkel and Oates are feminists.

So why did Gavin McInnes think they were his kind of people? Apparently it's because of this video, in which G&O perform as two women who argue in song over whether they should panic about being single in their early 30s or not.

McInnes is obsessed with proving that female reproduction makes women inferior, and makes women have lives with more limited prospects for love than men. Because he's a gigantic misogynist. And since his followers are also misogynists their response to the G&O video is what you would expect. Here's one comment:
sorry. but these girls are unfunny ugly trolls. have fun going out for vegan food with them. if you’re lucky you’ll get to read some of their poetry. they are DEF. sporting full bush.
McInnes is so desperate to find women who agree with him about their own inferiority that he'll grasp at the tiniest hint of assent. But he was wrong. As usual.

But just to be sure, I tracked down G&O's Twitter account and asked them what they thought of the alt-right approval they got in Taki's Magazine. If they get back to me I will post their response here.