Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Lennon or McCartney



I want to say McCartney. Partly because Lennon is the "cool" choice, and partly because I'm a big admirer of Paul McCartney's character and I'm in awe of his drive and his artistic imagination.

But when I review my favorite Beatles songs, I have more Lennon than McCartney songs in the list.

My list has changed over the years, of course, but this is where I stand now.

  • A Day in the Life
  • And Your Bird Can Sing
  • Ballad of John and Yoko
  • Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
  • Happiness is a Warm Gun
  • Hey Bulldog
  • I've Just Seen a Face
  • Rain
  • Strawberry Fields Forever
  • You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

Sgt. Peppers - 50 years ago this summer
The only one of those that's primarily McCartney is "I've Just Seen a Face."

But it's entirely possible that I've listened to the classics like Eleanor Rigby, Yellow Submarine and Hey Jude so often I've gone right off of them.